Alan Simmons, President & Co-Leader
Alan Simmons launched the Outdoor Party, reflecting his firm belief that the solution to much of the disrespectful and poisonous policies past governments have introduced to the public’s outdoor heritage and environment, is to get into the political arena and start sparring.
His motivation stems from a lifetime involvement in outdoors political issues. For instance, in 1975 Alan was one of three anglers appointed to visit Parliament to cement the “no trout farming” deal under the newly elected government. The agreement has stood the test of time.
And he’s sat on a number of national body executives, boards, NGO and management groups, including the NZ Professional Hunting Guides Association (at one stage as National President), Electricorp Environmental Management Board, NZ Federation of Freshwater Anglers and the NZ Professional Fishing Guides Association. Many will know him through his website, the hugely popular New Zealand FishnHunt forum which serves up 10.5 million pages a month.
Some of his past involvement includes:-
- In 1990 one of twelve appointed by the Conservation Minister to set up the NZ Fish and Game Council as per a new act of Parliament.
- An elected Councillor for eleven years on several regional Fish and Game councils.
- For twenty five years a ministerial appointee to the Taupo Fishery Advisory Committee and recently part of a four man team that undertook a Ministerial review of the Taupo Fishery.
- An executive member of the NZ Professional Fishing Guides Association for twenty seven years and currently an executive member of the NZ Federation of Freshwater Anglers which represents the collective interests of NZ angling clubs.
- As a free range hunting guide Alan was at the forefront of an emerging industry, an occupation he loved until it was consumed by Safari park hunting.
- Author of the first book on Sika Deer Hunting. (“How To Hunt Sika Deer”) as well as starring in many overseas TV fishing & hunting shows. Alan’s latest book “Born To The Outdoors” has already sold out and is in reprint.
- Stood as a list MP in the 2011 and 2014 elections as a candidate for United Future and became president of the party leading it through a rebuilding process. He has since resigned so he could build a new party focused on outdoors values.
Sue Grey LLB (Hons), BSc, RSHDipPHI, Board Member
Sue’s ground breaking and extensive legal career encompasses:
- medicinal cannabis law reform.
- challenging the legality of aerial toxin operations.
- representing victims of aerial 1080 operations.
- impact on electro-magnetic radiation on human health.
- forcing publication of previously secret “NZ Guidelines for Judicial Conduct.”
- Author of Fisheries Law.
Sue has walked, run, cycled, kayaked and photographed much of New Zealand, run marathons and ultra marathons (including the 67km Kepler Challenge) and traveled extensively, as a backpacker, with her children and for business, through much of the world. She is inspired by nature and the great New Zealand Outdoors.
Sue’s passion is inspiring, educating and empowering communities to help promote community and environmental wellbeing and a fairer, more compassionate world.
Jenn Haakma, Secretary
I am mother to a lot of kids that I am so proud of. I worked most of my adult life in advertising and even had a tourism paper – that was a great experience.
And now I feel it is time to make sure our country is left to all children clean, green and a great place to live.
I am so looking forward to working with the Outdoors Party and all it’s members.
Scott Taylor, Board Member for Hunting
I love adventure and in particular any adventure outdoors that involves my gorgeous wife and 3 amazing kids. As a passionate hunter, fisherman and surfer our country’s outdoor environment is my playground and my life blood.
I believe our game animals should be managed as the valuable resource that they are. Our mountains, rivers, lakes and oceans should be cherished and protected so our children grow up in a country where our future environment is more pristine than the one we leave behind.
Wilf Bearman-Reidel, Board Member and Hutt South Representative
I have lived in the seaside village of Eastbourne, Wellington for the last 30 years.
I am a graduate of Victoria University and have a background in real estate, property development and marketing.
My passions are hunting, diving and fishing – generally the outdoor environment.
In the past I have worked for DoC in pest control and marine park management. The latter also involved coastal Pohutukawa preservation (Project Crimson) and the release of Brown Teal duck into the wild.
I have put my name forward to represent the Outdoors Party as I feel that their values and environmental concerns are aligned with many New Zealanders that have been sidelined by the present system. Our cultural values of being able to hunt and fish freely in this country is rapidly being undermined.
Under the present management system the rivers are increasingly de-watered and loaded with nutrients and sediment, our seas harmed by industrial trawling practices discarded plastics. Poisons, such as herbicides and animal toxins are being spread throughout the outdoor environment indiscriminately and our valuable introduced game animals that provide recreation, food and physical challenge are being culled to extinction.
The fishing Quota Management System is focused on indiscriminate bulk harvesting where massive fish dumping of by catch is an acceptable practice in the pursuit of profit and is knowingly tolerated by the responsible Ministries. The recreational fisherman plays second fiddle to the commercial sector and has little or no say in the management of the inshore fishery.
I felt it was time to make a stand and represent the hunters, fishers and outdoor lovers of New Zealand – that is why I’m standing.
It is time that people like you and I became politically charged. This is a war cry: Back the OUTDOORS PARTY and WE WILL BACK YOU.
Bradley Marsh, Board Member
An airline captain and Aussie by birth but resident in the GodZone since 2003. Dad to 4 great Kiwi children. Very keen on many outdoors pursuits and thinks that NZ is without doubt the best place in the world to live and raise kids.
I love taking my children into the outdoors and seeing them enjoy the experiences it gives, learning from and appreciating the unique opportunities it provides.
Only by going out into the outdoors do we learn to love it and so we come to want to keep it as it is.
Keen to see that our children and their children get to enjoy the beauty of nature in NZ and I am more than willing to put in the effort to make sure it continues to be available to all.
Mike Isles. Membership
Mike is in charge of Members. Please contact Mike if you have any issue regarding membership. 021 483 300
I started working at the age of 14, and worked in a wide range of industries, both as an employee, and also as a self-employed business owner.
I retired from employment in 2018.
I joined The NZ OUTDOORS PARTY, in 2019, due to my ongoing interest in politics.
1. To address the “Lies and Deception”, which have increasingly, invaded New Zealand politics, and every form of New Zealand main stream media,(MSM), over the past decade.
2. Work out plans to address our need to “Clean Up”, the New Zealand, Outdoors, Waterways and Seashores, in order to enforce our countries once “clean green” image, and return our awesome outdoors to the “GEM”, it once used to be, for the benefit of ALL New Zealander’s to enjoy.
As a keen Fisherman and Outdoors person, I enjoy working for and being a member of a political party which has, the New Zealand Outdoors, Conservation, the Environments and Immigration, as just a few of its, major goals, concerns and policies.
Pete Kitchener – Coromandel
No Image as yet.