Party president and co-leader
Alan is very concerned with the loss of rural NZ, our culture and our way of life. Our outdoor heritage and environment make us the people we are today. Changes to our rural environment coupled with a lack of democracy and public input into any of the current government decision making is giving people cause for concern.
His motivation stems from a lifetime involvement in the outdoors. 45 years ago in 1975, Alan was one of three anglers appointed to visit Parliament in 1975 to cement the “no trout farming” deal under the newly elected government. The agreement has stood the test of time.
And he’s been involved in administration having sat on a number of national body executives, boards, NGO and management groups including the NZ Professional Hunting Guides Assn (of which he was National President), Electricorp Environmental Management Board, NZ Federation of Freshwater Anglers and NZ Professional Fishing Guides Assn. Many will know him through his website, the hugely popular New Zealand FishnHunt forum which serves up 10.5 million pages a month.
Some of his past involvement includes:-
- In 1990 one of 12 appointed by the Conservation Minister to set up the NZ Fish and Game Council as per a new act of parliament.
- An elected Councillor for 12 years on various fish and game councils.
• For 25 years a ministerial appointee to the Taupo Fishery Advisory Committee and was part of a five man team that undertook a Ministerial review of the Taupo Fishery.
• An executive member of the NZ Professional Fishing Guides Assn for 27 years, and for many years executive member of the NZ Federation of Freshwater Anglers which represented the collective interests of all angling club members nationally.
- Author of 2 books, the first book on Sika Deer Hunting. (“How To Hunt Sika Deer”) 1986.
- Born To The Outdoors. 2018.
- A number of fishing videos and numerous TV appearances internationally.
• Stood for parliament in the 2011 and 2014 elections as an Outdoors candidate for United Future and became president of the party leading it through a rebuilding process. He established the NZ Outdoors Party in 2015 and stood as an Outdoors Party candidate in the Taupo electorate in 2017.
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org ph. 0274 980 304